Service Partners was a 3rd party cellular repair facility both for warranty and non-warranty work. Their basic operations consisted of diagnostic, cosmetic repair, technical repair and testing, a separate logistics department, and front office operations.
As a provider for major cell phone manufacturers, Service Partners was faced with meeting unpredictable repair demand, technical changes due to new model development, and market pricing pressures on margins that occur as an industry matures.
Before utilizing The Work Connection, Service Partners was experiencing severe inefficiencies in its staffing supply chain, most notably:
- Poor Response time to fill open staffing requisitions leading to delayed repair completion and extra overtime from existing staff.
- Inconsistent quality of repair/logistics personnel leading to higher quality issues than acceptable, extra labor (expense) added to the repair process.
- Under utilization of staffing personnel because of vendor(s) inability to develop a strategic staffing process -- leading to limited-skill personnel whom could not be redeployed to do other necessary job functions required by Service Partner’s business model. Personnel with limited skills increased training expense, drove up staffing levels because additional personnel were needed to complete the nominally more skilled job functions.
- High turnover due to poor recruiting and selection processes, leading to additional costs to Service Partner and increased frustration amongst Service Partners supervisory personnel.
- The use of 5 services to meet staffing levels- 2 large national providers, 2 large regional providers, and 1 niche provider- which caused the already overworked HR staff of Service Partners to use up their own resources to manage the time keeping process, security clearance and building access, issuing and monitoring of safety equipment and training, daily attendance, staffing personnel issues, multiple staffing vendor contact management, and other issues associated with managing personnel who weren’t even their employees.
After utilizing The Work Connection, Service Partners was able to reduce costs and inefficiencies in its staffing supply chain, most notably:
- A strategic approach to staffing which included an in-depth analysis of the knowledge, skills, and abilities need to for the function -- enlarged positions which resulted in higher quality associates who could do more jobs reducing the overall number of personnel needed.
- The Work Connection developed a client specific systematic recruiting process to consistently provide higher quality associates -- reducing time to fill to less than 24 hours in over 97.8% of the requests for personnel.
- All pre-employment orientation including realistic job previewing of staffing personnel was completed by The Work Connection Staffing Professionals, leading to faster on-boarding, less non-functional job training, and more productive personnel.
- Better-informed, higher quality, more thoroughly screened, productive associates of The Work Connection led to a substantial decrease in turnover, lower training costs, and lower frustration levels for the supervisors of Service Partners.
- The total elimination of all staffing vendor administrative work done by the HR staff of Service Partners.
- The reduction of staffing vendors from 5 to 2, with The Work Connection providing 100% of the repair, logistics, and front office staffing. The Work Connection ultimately provided the staffing for over 97 percent of all positions at Service Partners by providing a consistent source of personnel who had undergone the exact same recruiting, screening, orientation, and retention processes thereby greatly reducing all issues surrounding utilizing a large amount (400+) of staffing personnel.
- The development of a highly skilled group of technical personnel provided by The Work Connection to respond to sudden changes in technical requirements by the clients of Service Partners.
- WIN On-Premise Coordinators provided by The Work Connection to handle all management of staffing personnel including providing additional time keeping resources, all safety equipment and training, badges and security, functional job training, and immediate response to HR and supervisor requests, comprehensive reporting, etc.
Through the continued development of a strategic solution The Work Connection was able to stabilize and enhance the staffing supply chain for Service Partners. By reducing the total cost associated with staffing personnel (i.e. effective processes, lower turnover, quicker response time, higher quality, more productive, etc) Service Partners realized a $700,000 reduction in costs on a $5,000,000 annual spend in staffing services.